Sunday, October 14, 2012

I become a master chef!

Okay, maybe not to the level as Emerald or that woman who does the southern cooking - but by my standards - I deserve an award.  And you may be asking what exactly did I specialize in making.  (Self - What did Beth specialize in making while she was on Utrik in the Marshall Islands?)  What a good question - it was cookies!  C IS FOR COOKIE!  THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!  And I must say that these cookies were amazing.  And because I didn't have any measuring tools, it was a lot of guesswork.  So my thinking process went something like this - "Lets out in this much flour (fill the bowl about 3/4 of the way)  And because I have all this oatmeal - lets fill the bowl 3/4 with oatmeal.  Now the bowl is 6/4 full with flour and oatmeal.  Now I definitely need to add sugar.  Wait, lets pour in some more sugar.  And what exactly is baking powder?  I guess I should add some.  I mean all the people here put baking powder in things, I guess I should too."  Okay so that was my general thought process while making these.  And the other ingredients would include cinnamon, and instant coffee.  Usually the instant coffee would serve as the base for the frosting (and condensed milk - in which is super disgusting)  So yeah, that is essentially how I made all those cookies - a great job of guess and check.  And baking these cookies took time - time to collect the coconut shells for the fire, getting the proper stuff to light the fire, me trying to light the fire and then Carbit or Baba coming to help me because I couldn't do it, then waiting for the coals to come because if you put the oven thing on too fast then the coals dont come and get a ton of smoke, and then putting the cookies on.  The funny thing was I didn't know what temperature anything was, so it was super hit and miss.  HAHA  But in the end, the cookies tasted delicious!  Yummy yummy yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment